Monday, January 28, 2013

2012 Closing Ceremony : Part 2- My First Word of the Year


Word of the Year ATC
Going into 2012 I was looking for a new way to create and find meaning in the year. In one of our conversations Michelle suggested I choose a Word of the Year. Instead of coming up with a new year’s resolution, that I would just break or forget about, choosing a word instead sets a theme for the year. She suggested utilizing the “Your Word of the Year Discover Tool” developed by Christine Kane.
I called together a couple of my Soul Sisters, my two best friends and sister to pick our Word of the Year. We gathered early on a Saturday morning for a Creativity Circle and Tea. Together we set our intentions, choose our words and created Artist Trading Cards (ATC), something tangible we could use as a prompt for the year ahead. The word I choose was BUILD.  I wanted to continue to build the foundation for my creative dream. I had the vision, I had the education, and I had the life experience. I wanted to build my business knowledge, rebuild my relationship with my art (painting) and build a support system of like-minded women. I would BUILD my year with blocks of experience, love, nurturing and support.
OPENED MY MIND
One of the first emails I got after I set my word of the year was from my favorite artist/author SARK . She was promoting the Women on Purpose Spiritual Business Boot camp hosted by Sage Lavine I signed up for this free teleconference series. I was exposed to 30 women who have creatived heart centered businesses. They talked about discovering your passion, setting your vision, branding, marketing, and money management. I know have a beautiful journal filled with tons of insights, tips and inspiration.
CONNECTED TO MY SPIRIT
Next, I signed up for BIG a FEARLESS® Painting workshop at Dirty Footprints Studio.  This six week online painting workshop was an amazing experience. I set up a studio space in the basement and my husband put up a wall for me to create my BIG paintings. The intention behind this painting process is to connect to your intuition. It is about what happens in the process not the final product.  The artwork that came out of this year is some of my most vibrant. I have always understood the healing power of my art. My natural way of creating has always been from this inner place and it is probably why I had a hard time when I first took college level art classes. I didn’t want to spend hours painting peppers, still life or landscapes. I wanted to paint from my internal world and connect to something deeper. This knowing is how I ended up with an undergraduate degree in Art Therapy instead of Art Education.

Sample of my artwork from 2012

It was through this beautiful community Connie created on her website, that I discovered my Painting Tribe and a circle of Creative Women Souls just like me.
STRENGTHENING MY BODY
During this past year I got a personal trainer to help me get in better shape. The first one didn’t work out like I wanted so I tried a studio 20 minutes away from my house called Tuff Girl Fitness at Bodyology. I had been following Christa Doran’s post on Facebook for more than a year. Her message was inspiring and every post was filled with passion and determination.
Right away when I walked into her studio, music blasting she was yelling loudly at the women in her class. Motivating them not to give up, reminding them how strong and beautiful they are. I fell in love with her right away. The energy she creates at her studio is pure magic. I finished up my year going to 2 classes a week, addicted to the way she would tweak me while I was working my ass off in her class, sweaty and lifting weight I never thought I would do. I got stronger and stronger, not just in my body but in my mind to. I would leave her studio every night feeling like I could do or accomplish anything I put my mind to.

LESSON LEARNED
Although I didn’t get to all the goals I had written down in my journal, I made leaps and bounds in my belief in myself and what I have to offer. 2012 was year full of me letting go of my insecurities and all the ways I blocked myself from being the women I know I am. My favorite book of the year was “This Time I Dance” by Tama J. Kieves. The message I needed to get this year was I don’t have to be perfect. I am good enough, I need to practice every day. I had to let go of this mindset that you have to be an instant master to pursue your dreams but that is not the case. “If you wait for your skill before you dare anything, you will only wait and ache.” That is exactly what I have been doing. I have been learning, growing but not acting for fear of failing and not  being good enough. So I leave 2012 behind knowing with my whole heart that “Genius does not often arrive as genius, but as imperfection tolerated and transformed by love, focus, and devotion”.
I am grateful for every Soul Sister who has crossed my path this last year. I am truly blessed to know you, learn from you and experience your gifts. Thank you for being brave role models for me to aspire to. Your devotion to your passions has given me permission to pour love and devotion into mine!  

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what your intentions for 2013 are!!!
    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my next blog! Now that I am caught up to 2013, I can get rolling.

    ReplyDelete